About the team
Postman is the world’s leading API collaboration platform used by more than 15 million developers and 500,000 organizations worldwide. Postman was founded on a straightforward premise: to simplify each step of building an API so developers could create better APIs—faster.
Postman’s Open Technologies function was created to establish Postman as a leader in the API sector by investing in Open Specifications, Standards, Tooling, Data, and Policies as well as building strong relationships with thought leaders and organizations in the domain.
Through our collaboration with the AsyncAPI Initiative, we are looking for a Technical Writer to work closely with the AsyncAPI team within our Open Technologies function to help shape and build the future of API tooling. This Technical Writer will work to improve and organize documentation around open source tools so developers can easily build and maintain event-driven architecture powered by the AsyncAPI specification - the industry standard for defining asynchronous APIs.
As the Open Technologies Technical Writer, you will help create a foundation of learning material that will scale up for a rapidly growing AsyncAPI user base. Everything is open-source and, therefore, much of your work will be open-source too. If supporting open source learners sounds like the kind of challenge you’d like to tackle, apply to join us!
- Own the docs for the AsyncAPI feature set—you’ll be responsible for documenting this specific area of our Open Technologies function and will drive all docs efforts around it
- Plan documentation in conjunction with community feedback—you’ll work with open source communities to learn about a feature from specifications, user research, and most importantly through your own hands-on experimentation with the product
- Collaborate closely with developer relations to ensure docs and learning materials align with community needs which includes assisting with AsyncAPI documentation, tutorials, and other education efforts within Open Technologies
- Carry out editorial reviews on your docs teammates’ drafts—you’ll be providing constructive feedback that helps your colleagues to grow, as well as receiving it
- Deliver high-quality, accurate documentation that acts as an effective learning resource, aligns with content strategy guidelines, and represents the AsyncAPI specification to community and customers
- Liaise with stakeholders across the AsyncAPI Initiative to establish and address docs needs
- Open to learning how to write the occasional code sample to include within documentation
- At least 1 year of experience with the Docs as Code/Docs like Code approach to documentation, writing Markdown-based content, working in an Agile environment, and using open source tooling
- Self-starter—you can pick up tech skills with minimal support and guidance and have a curiosity about learning development workflows and practices
- Problem solver—you take a broad view of the role your docs work plays within the organization and are comfortable with shifting priorities
- User empathy—maybe you’ve been involved in tech support, in a community or customer facing role, you’ve helped people learn tech skills, or you’ve sought user feedback on docs in the past
- Strong communicator—you’ve written technical material before, whether official documentation or just your own tutorials on tech skills you wanted to share, and your communication skills carry over into the way you engage with teammates
- Distributed team member—you’re comfortable working within a diverse global team in multiple time zones
- Nice to have developer knowledge—ideally you’ve worked with APIs and/or open source tooling in some form, maybe you’ve worked as a developer, or you’ve written a little bit of code here and there, but whatever your skill level you’re happy to have a go at developer tasks where they support the documentation effort
What Else? (Remote Benefits)
We offer competitive salary and benefits, and a flexible schedule working with a fun, collaborative team. Enjoy full medical coverage, unlimited PTO, and a monthly lunch stipend. (Yes, seriously. We want you to eat well wherever you’re at.) Plus, our wellness program will help you stay healthy from your location with fitness-related reimbursements. Our frequent and fascinating virtual team-building events will keep you connected, while our donation-matching program can support the causes you care about. We’re building a long-term company with an inclusive culture where everyone can be the best version of themselves, and we want you to be part of it. Join us, why dontcha?Apply for this job